Pages

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
Add to Technorati Favorites

SEARCH THE WEB HERE:

Custom Search

Followers

Monday, September 08, 2008

On teachers, education and shoes...today's reflections...

As I hurried towards the stairs this morning, on my way to the classroom of my class for the first period, I was talking to a good student, now colleague who was explaining how and what he wanted to do for his grade five students in matters of the improvement and development of English Literacy, as well as coping with their problems in comprehension. I salute him for his efforts and resourcefulness, as not all teachers would go all the way as to compile materials for the kids to use and benefit from. Most teachers I know would only do what they are required to do, but not beyond what is necessary. If only more and more teachers would understand the vocation they have chosen, then Filipino Children, especially of the poor families, who cannot afford to get a tutor would not have a difficulty in understanding as well as passing the level examinations. Sadly, a lot of teachers make a student's life more complicated by giving more of the burden of his/her ignorance as well as lack of heart for the profession to the kids who, for lack of self determination, self esteem and proper nutrition, would willingly accept as fate. This is the sad truth about education. In fact, if you take a survey among college students in the city and around the country, they would look down at education as a course, thinking that it won't pay well after graduation, which I do not think really matters at all. Well, my belief is different from theirs. I always have it in mind, that if you love what you do, and you do your best in that which you love to do, putting your best foot forward all the time, then the money, happiness and satisfaction will follow. Correct me if I am wrong but, it does not matter what course you take up in college, the good students always get hired, and those with mediocre performance always end up doing nothing but complain about life's misery, wherever they will land a job, or worse, prostitute themselves, by taking in two or three boyfriends to supply their needs and wants but of course, it is obvious what is at stake in this situation...Anyway, that is just a piece of my mind, your opinion is yours, feel free to write down a comment on this post.

So to continue, on our way up, a student of mine, was on his way down for the washroom. He was this kid with all smiles to mask his life's misery. When he greeted me, of course I responded with a good morning too. That's when I saw that his pair of shoes were terribly worn. One could see his white socks every time both his shoes would talk as he would walk...my heart sank. How pitiful is that sight. During recess, I chanced upon him again. Well, our school is a very small school. As a part time teacher, it was never difficult to memorize names and faces because of this fact. So there I was, eating heartily my chocolate moist cake and sweet corn on a cob (what a combination, lol...) when he entered the canteen. After am done eating, he and his friend, with the same first name as his, sat on the same spot and we talked a bit. When his friend bought food for snacking, he asked his friend if he could buy for him too. And his friend said his money is just enough for him. So we talked about his allowance, and he said he does not carry money with him, only his fare, so he could save his money. In my mind, he may be telling the truth or he was giving an excuse for not having money to buy his food. When his friend bought a chocolate bar, he asked him again if he could also buy for him, but his friend refused, and continued to eat facing him, as if teasing him while he is salivating(??).. Of course there was no saliva there but I know the feeling when you like to take a bite of what's in front of you. I wanted to buy him food, without offending him or giving any hints to the other kid that my heart was shrinking at that very moment. I pity the kid, earlier the shoes, then the food...so without hesitation, I asked him if he could buy for the two of us the same chocolate bar that his friend is munching on. And he gladly accepted the money and went to the counter. When he came back, he sat and enjoyed his bar, I placed mine inside my bag, as am already full-- too much chocolate adds up to the belly, lol. Anyway, as we were talking again, I asked him his shoe size, and he asked why I was getting all the information. I simply replied, his foot is big for his age, and that it amazed me. Hoping that it wouldn't offend him in anyway. Then he started telling me that he and his mom will be buying a pair in the afternoon, that he has another pair but is white, and fearing punishment for not wearing the prescribed uniform, he will just wear the said shoes till the new pair comes.. my mind was racing then, the rainy days is not over yet...I pity his feet (the pair of shoes he owns talks as he walks...) how will he stand the cold and what will become of them being wet all the time? When the bell rung, of course, we went back to our classrooms. During class and after my time at school, I couldn't help but feel pity for the kid. After all, he is one of the nicest kids in school....If I will get extra money this week, maybe I will get him a cheaper pair of black shoes, if not, I am hoping for a shoe drive among my friends with sons who have extra shoes to give away, even just for a temporary pair to help this kid out. His shoe size is 38 (kids), and prescribed school shoes is black... leather or rubber, as long as it is black, I guess that is okay...my heartfelt thanks in advance...



No comments: